As we enter into “Pride Month” here’s our annual reminder that corporate rainbow capitalism won’t save us, but queer space communism just might. To that end, here are 10 things that you can do to help foster rad queer communities into the future:
- Skip the rainbow tat from big box stores and chains and support indy queer artists and producers.
- Have lesbian potlucks on the regular, and invite non-lesbian queers too. But tell the TERFs and SWERFs to fuck right the fuck off, and give them no space at the table.
- Start edible garden collectives. Growing veggies and fruits can be intimidating, but, like visiting a bath house for the first time, if you do it with buddies it’s more fun.
- Create spaces and events without “allies” and straight folks. We don’t have to always invite or accommodate them, and we NEVER need their approval or to be “respectable.”
- Talk and write about queer sex. Be explicit. Discuss pleasure, and desire, and health. Especially with younger folks and older folks. Don’t make assumptions about who or how.
- Throw queer dance parties! Also throw queer dance parties with a variety of muisical genres and themes and at different times of day and night. Make space for the metalheads and disco divas and hip-hop homos and everyone else.
- Preserve our hestories through story telling, oral hestory recording, artifact collecting, and letter writing. Help commit our lives to physical objects so that there is a fossil record.
- Teach and learn both hard and soft skills. Host or attend workshops on bike repair, cooking, community first aid, budgeting and personal finance, sewing, arts/music/writing and so on.
- Make queer digital media and host or platform it yourselves. Become unchained from YouTube, Facebook, Blogger and iTunes. Work together to skillshare technical knowledge, including recording, editing, sound and visual production skills, but also how to build webservers and host different types of content on your own.
- Make and read queer zines.